Leather Service To Communities
What Is Leather Service To Communities?
Leather Service To Communities (LSTC) is service from Leather people to those that serve the interests of Leather people & cultures every day. Service means volunteered time and/or financial contribution. Communities refers to Leather’s diverse populations.
There is a nearly 40 year history of organized service, principally within Men’s Leather. What began as support for individuals and families, driven by the onset of the AIDS crisis, became a robust charitable tradition. [The Health & Medicine and LGBTQ Support portfolios honor & support these roots of Leather’s local & national charitable giving history].
LSTC carries forward Leather service’s legacy of help to the most vulnerable. LSTC is Leather people supporting the practice, research, education, protection of their vital interests, and responsibility for their own lives. It supports Leather people who are socially, politically, medically and economically amongst society’s most vulnerable populations.
Today’s Leather Service
Over the last 40 years, Leather people have changed. Yet today’s struggles are just as real. Leather remains a resistance to social & sexual oppression, dehumanization and stereotyping. LSTC is direct support for these ongoing struggles, and those who face oppression. Leather List’s five portfolios address each area of need or growth:
- Health & Medicine is core to Leather history & identity. Fighting AIDS now adds gender and kink-competence in treatment
- Fluid genders and sexual orientations are well established in Leather, but LGBTQ Support is needed to face violence & oppression in many forms.
- Leather’s consent culture & practices maintain Radical/Sex Positive Life. Leather, BDSM & Kink educators are powerful voices for sexual health.
- A diverse body of National Leather Institutions carrying the Leather name in different fields & commerce is not yet established.
- Expressing one’s Relationship Freedom is ill-advised in most workplaces; jobs and careers are at risk, much like sexual orientation
Leather List Local Program
The Local Program frames the relationship between L L, the local Leather club or organization and a local NPO on one of LeatherList.org’s Local pages. It offers Leather Service hours, credit that can fit within any club’s existing service guidelines. (Club members will soon be able to document their service hours – on their LeatherList.org profile.)
The Local Program brings clubs new energy and greater member involvement. It gives more people a reason to join a local club. L L offers free sponsorships to any qualifying club, using the Guide To Leather List Local Program.
Key Program Points
- Leather clubs sponsor a local Leather List NPO for 6-12 months. It may include fundraisers, and/or other volunteer service.
- The club’s patch and preferred weblink is displayed on a Local Leather List as a Sponsor, adjacent to the NPO’s donation cart listing.
- L L provides social media services for all of the activities that the club and NPO arrange.
- Club leadership & members can earn Leather Service working with the NPO over a one year period.
- The program provides volunteer experience that is ‘resume-worthy’. That means Leather service can improve members’ working lives & careers.